- #1 state for tooth loss (I had a 24 year old patient in dentures)
- #1 state for number of prescription drugs prescribed
- #1 state of smokers per capita
- 70% are obese/overweight
- 12% have Type II Diabetes
- 30+% have mental health illness
In case you can't get enough of this state, a Charleston suburb has been given the honor of the "Unhealthiest City in America." ABC is filming a reality show as we speak which will air in January.
Let's just say West Virginia has just a few issues. I am also trying to pick up on their own unique lingo.
shopping cart = buggie
restroom = cammode
beanie = toboggan
toboggan/sled = sleigh
valleys = hollers
Dave's update:
Dave has been voted Chief Intern by his peers and is really enjoying his internship. Everybody loves him, and has even been given the nickname "JC" (which is entirely sacrilegious, but very flattering). We live downtown in some brand new hospital housing, so the furthest Dave has to commute is five minutes to any of the three given hospitals. (The bummer is that I hear ambulances ALL THE TIME.) When I ask how his day went, Dave replies, "Just saving lives." At least he really enjoys his profession.
My update:
After searching for 6 weeks, I have only found a part time job. Not only do people not care about their teeth in this state, they don't care about dental hygienists either. I earn $15 per hour LESS than my friends in Kansas City are making. The rest of my time I fill with volunteering at a free Dental Clinic and reading.
Here are some pictures of the place:
West Virginia may take some adapting, but I think we'll make it. It is honestly one of the prettiest places I've lived. I love all of the pretty, green hollers.
9 comments:
i love your new apartment, it does look so much brighter than your old one. i'm glad you're warming up to west virginia and all those unhygienic people
finally some pictures! Love your place, love that the good ol southeast is putting some hair on your chest...here's a thought- come see New Moon with me??
I thought I knew all the hick slang - buggie is the only one I've heard. Glad you are settling in, and at least found part-time work. You're apartment looks great!
Yay, an update! Even though you clearly defined what a holler was, I still hesitated on it. you clever girl. We miss you here Elizabeth!!! I hope you're not going crazy!
Love the apartment! Looks like things are going pretty great! ps... I love that post about "spiritual dave"...
Dear Lizzie,
Missouri isn't the same without you. The state is on strike. We want you to return immediately. I hope West Virginia realizes how lucky it is to have such a stellar human living within it's borders.
The children aren't the same without you. They are losing weight and cry often. Definately going through Berrey withdrawel.
Love,
the WehrMonsters
Wow! I guess it's going to take some time to adapt. CRAZY state. I had NO idea that people in West Virginia have no concern for their hygiene? I LOVE you're new place though! I love dark wood floor and white cabinets. That's my favorite. :) Seriously, I'm not kidding. I hope your pregnancy is going well too. So what are you having? Let me know! Love you, twink p.s. I left you a little note on my blog www,tiffanygarfield.com under the bff post. hahaha
Your place is so cute! I love the floors and the kitchen is perfect! It looks more open than your last place. You're going to love living so close to the river once baby Berrey comes. Perfect for walks and feeding ducks in the summer.
wow, sounds like a different country! Love your apartment.
Post a Comment