Sunday, June 21, 2009

Church History Tour--Finally!

After 4 years of living 90 minutes away from Adam-ondi-Ahman and a reasonable drive from Nauvoo, we finally made it there. And in the nick of time too. Right after our trip to Mexico, my parents and my youngest sibling Joseph came into town. We spent a day in Kansas City going to Liberty Jail as well as visiting Independence. And of course...eating some good barbeque. We finished our vacation by taking my first trip to Chicago. It was Dave's last hoorah before he starts his new job.

We managed to find the house my grandparents lived in while they served a mission in Adam-ondi-Ahman.

The Joseph Smith Mansion House in Nauvoo



Carthage Jail


This was probably one of my favorite things to do in Chicago...take a cruise through the city on the Chicago River.

The museums in Chicago were amazing. We could spend a day in each of them. Instead we did four museums, in one day. I was especially interested in this museum because it is the only original building left from the World's Columbian Exposition, or the World Fair that took place in Chicago.

I was so interested in Chicago because I just finished the book: The Devil in the White City. I think it's one of my favorite non-fiction books. I highly recommend it. Thanks for the suggestion Jaclyn!

5 comments:

Kristan said...

How fun!

Aby Runyan said...

I read about half of that book and it got WAY too scary for me. I am such a wimp that I had to stop!

We really need to get to all those church sites too.
luvs, aby

Jaclyn said...

I'm glad you liked the book! It's so eerie and spooky and fascinating.

I totally remember grandma and grandpa's old house at AOA. There is a picture of me around 13 years old swinging on the swing.

And I'm so jealous you went to Chicago. Ben and I were supposed to go last year but something at work came up.

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

COOL. I really want to go to all those sites! Good luck with your new post grad stuff! Yay for you!

Ashley Jones said...

Sarah says-

I bet Josh would be in heaven if he saw that picture.